Saturday, April 26, 2014

Deaf World

Good Evening Erryone!

Schatzi and I attended a Deaf event today. I don't remember the name of the college . . . leme ask Schatzi . . . Grossmont College! We had no clue what the event was going to be. I will admit that it was pretty darn cool. When you first walk in you get into a line to receive a sticker with the number coresponding to the level of sign you are at. Then you get a pencil, a raffle ticket, and a card. The card tells you a problem scenario you have. Around the rooms there are posters labeling the different places. For example, they had a Vet, DMV, a Bakery, etc.



Here's a few of the different cards.



I was curious as to how they would go about the ticket drawing for the raffle. Since nobody was allowed to use their voices. (Oh and if you talk you have to go to JAIL) When it came time for the raffle a lady got up to the second floor as we all gathered around her on the first floor. It was like how people gather to see the pope in movies lol She signed the numbers of the winning ticket. Was interesting.

I think that this was the best Deaf event I have been to!

ALG

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully you learned some news signs, but even if you didn't at least you got to try out your own ASL skills outside of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did learn a good handful of new signs. There was something satisfying about being able to communicate with no voice.

      Delete