Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Halo-Halo

Hi friends,

SJ and I went shopping the other night so he could find some fabric for family. For all of you that have watched romance movies don't you always see the couple go eat ice cream or something? Well SJ took me to Jollibee so I could try halo-halo. I first heard about this drink when I was watching April on Thirsty Thursdays! (YouTube video series) Here's the online description for those of you that have never heard of halo-halo before!


Halo-halo is a favorite Filipino dessert or snack because it is cold and refreshing, perfect for beating the tropical heat that exists almost year round in the Philippines. It is a mixture of sweet preserved beans (red beans, chick peas), coconut meat (macapuno), jackfruit (langka), pounded dried rice (pinipig), sweet purple yam (ube), cream caramel flan (leche flan), shreds of sweetened plantain (saba), lots of shaved or crushed ice, milk (or coconut milk) and topped with ice cream (typically ube ice cream).
I am an extremely forgetful person, I'm sure my roommates and suitemates would agree, so I actually forgot all about wanting to try halo-halo. My favorite part was the jello looking square thingies. Don't think you can see them, but they were in there!!

Even if you don't like certain ingredients in halo-halo I highly recommend
giving it a try!! SJ also wanted me to try this butter mamon bread/cake. I probably should have tried it before eating the halo-halo because it didn't taste as sweet as it would have if I ate it first. SJ and I both ate before we went out so we didn't finish the butter mamon. He was nice and let me take it home!

So go give it a try!

ALG

4 comments: