Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year's Day

Evening,

A little late, but Happy New Year everyone!!!


Do you guys have traditions for New Year's day? My family usually goes to my grandparent's house for the whole day. My grandma cooks all sorts of yummy foods for us! This is some of the foods she had ready for us when we arrived. I ate sweet chestnut paste, egg, fancy kamaboko, red bean and green tea yokan, special triangle shaped spam musubi, what I think was sweet egg, and sticky potato! It's not shown in the picture, but I had like six spam musubi. They were just so yummy!


My family eats the traditional soup with mochi, but being the picky eater I am, I just eat the mochi. My aunt toasts me mochi every year! It would be plain on its own so I dip it in soy sauce and sugar. Usually the mochi is still in its perfect stone shape, but I requested extra toasty kind. This is the result. Don't they look like huge popcorns?!? They were actually hollow inside too! So delightfully delicious! Guess this is my tradition!

While things die down at the house me, my two aunts, cousin, and mom headed off to the mall. Got some more leggings and long sleeve shirts. Something about adding long sleeve shirts to my wardrobe makes me so proud! Grandma told us to be back by dinner which was at 6. We lost track of time at the mall and ended up leaving shortly after 5:30! Got back in time for dinner though. Everyone, but me of course, ate sukiyaki for dinner. I honestly don't know what I eat for dinner every New Year's. My grandma was worried I wouldn't have food for dinner, but I told her not to make me anything special because she already had enough to do. I told her I would find something to eat. Oh yea, for those of you that aren't familiar with sukiyaki, it is photographed above. Consists of noodles, meat, tofu, mushrooms, veggies, etc.

I grabbed some of the cold noodles and tofu for dinner. Before we left in the morning to get to their house I got an Uncrustable from the freezer thinking I would eat it on the way. Glad I grabbed it because it was part of my dinner! I also had different types of tsukemono. The purple and yellow tsukemono were from the store, but the cucumber one was homemade! My grandpa doesn't help with any of the cooking so he sounded very proud to tell me how he cut the cucumber for my grandma to marinade lol Had gohan to accompany my tsukemono. (Pssst gohan is rice!) One more piece of fancy kamaboko, and one homemade "football." (I don't remember the real name, but my sister knows exactly what I am talking about!)

Every year my aunt buys beautiful manju for us to indulge in. Aren't they prettyful?? I had the pink flower maju. It is very hard to describe what it was, but I can say there was anko (red bean) inside! You see that there are two of them right? Well there were leftovers so my aunt let me take the other flower too!!



I could feel my mouth watering from looking at all the food pictures! Can't wait till next New Year's!!

ALG





1 comment: