Sunday, September 7, 2014

Schatzi's Accident

Hi guys!

As you all know, my boyfriend rides a motorcycle. A few weeks ago he got into an accident. Here's what happened:

Schatzi was driving down the road in the left lane when a car cut in front of him. He had to slam on the breaks to avoid hitting the car in front of him. He didn't have enough room to stop so he had to turn the motorcycle to the left. When he turned left and braked he flew over the top of the handlebars landing flat on his back. As for the motorcycle, it did a half flip and landed near him.


Sounds like one heck of an experience to me. Later that evening I received a text that he was in the hospital. So my dad and I rushed down to the VA hospital near UCSD. They let us see him and my heart hurt when I saw him. I hated seeing him in so much pain and discomfort. Got to hold his hand and talk to him a bit before they said he had to be transferred to Scripps hospital.


They loaded him into the ambulance and we followed in our car. When we got to see him we found him in what seemed like a holding room. The doctors looked over his papers and he was moved into a room upstairs. I was so glad I packed a blanket because it was very cold in the hospital! Schatzi was tired and in pain so I sat by him. I've never been in a situation like this before so I wasn't sure what I should do. I was hoping my being there would help a little bit. I know that if I am ever in the hospital I would want someone to be there for me. It was past midnight and I knew we would have to leave him to find a hotel for the night. I could feel the time running out and I didn't want leave him. I knew he would be in good hands at the hospital, but still I didn't want to leave his side. When it was time to leave I gave him a kiss goodbye and reluctantly walked out of the hospital.

My dad and I drove around to hotels to look for a room. We stayed at the Marriott for the evening. Don't you guys love hotel pillows?! I am not sure what makes them so much more comfortable than my pillows lol I think they are just softer than mine. I am a fluffy pillow type of person >.< It took me a while to get to sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about how Schatzi was doing. In the morning my dad and I checked of the hotel and grabbed some Taco Bell.

When we got back to the hotel Schatzi was sleeping. I tried being really quite but he woke up. He looked better than the previous day. His mom flew in from up north to see him too.

So you may be asking what kind of damages were done, right? Schatzi was saying how most people think of road rash, broken limbs, blood, and death when they hear about motorcycle accidents. Everyone thought Schatzi was extremely lucky. From appearance you couldn't tell he had gotten into an accident. He had a little red scrape on his forehead from his helmet and a bruise on his left shoulder/pec where his backpack strap was. Lucky right? Looking deeper into his body the doctors found he had three broken vertebrae. Could have been worse because luckily these three broken vertebrae caused no spinal damage. I was incredibly grateful that the damage wasn't worse than it was.

My parents let me stay at Schatzi's place for the rest of the week. I got to help his mom out with grocery shopping and cleaning. Schatzi never likes to ask me for help, but since he had to lay in bed he had to ask us to do things for him. You guys remember I went up north back in July, right? That trip went by very quickly so although I didn't like the reason that caused him mom to come down, I enjoyed getting extra time to spend with her. His mom and I worked together to assemble Schatzi's desk he had ordered online. That was the first piece of furniture I have ever helped put together but we did it!

As of this day, Schatzi is feeling so much better. He can walk up and down the stairs, sit at the table, and he even rides his bike to the store! The doctors said it would take 8 weeks to fully heal so he's still got a while.

Seeing a loved one in so much pain is difficult, but not being able to do anything to take away that pain made me feel so helpless. Now that he is better I don't have to worry so much. I still do worry though lol I'm so happy that you're feeling better Schatzi. You were so strong and brave through it all. You're such an inspiration. I love you

ALG

2 comments:

  1. That was really horrible! Schatzi was lucky that he only got some minor bruises and nothing beyond that. It probably helped that he was quickly brought to the hospital, and was given proper treatment for the injuries he got. So, how’s he doing now? Any updates?

    Faith Brady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing good. I believe it hurts sometimes when he sneezes but other than that he's perfect. Thanks for asking! He's still wanting to get back on a bike. As am I lol

      Delete