Saturday, May 16, 2015

Acrylic Nails But No Fingers?

Hi again,


I am pretty sure everyone has heard of, seen, or have had acrylic nails, but not everyone knows all the various types of acrylic nails that exist. Can't say I know all the types that exist, but today in class I used forms to create acrylic nails. What are forms? See that purple thing on the left? That, my friend, is an OPI form. It peels off the white paper and sticks to the skin like a sticker.



You then take that and apply it to the finger with the opening under the free edge of the nail. I think that they are tricky to use. I just need more practice probably.

So no fingers? How could I practice this with no fingers? Well my nail tech kit came with wooden cylinders. I applied the OPI form to the wood cylinder as if it were a finger. Once the acrylic cures and hardens I file the lumpy bumpies out, apply oil, and buff em smooth.

My first nail is on the left and the nail i finished last is on the right. I experimented with different sizes and shapes.

These first four were a bit on the thin side. Now if these were acrylic overlays (a layer of acrylic over glued on nail tips) it wouldn't be so bad, but because these are meant to stand along they need to be thicker. These nails, if done on a client, would most likely crack if hit hard enough.

Took a break for lunch and created these thicker four. I think I may be starting to get the hang of using a form. Can't say I like them yet, but I will keep at it. My instructor says that acrylics done with forms is getting to be more rare in the industry so it's important for us to be able to use forms. Also a technician can charge more for an acrylic set done with forms than a set done with tips.

More talent = more $$

-ALG



No comments:

Post a Comment